Monday, September 9, 2013

Yeast Wrangling: Part II

My efforts at collecting some yeast from the air in my back yard was unsuccessful to say the least.  All the plates I made were covered with various types of bacteria and other microbes as you can see in the picture below.  There were a couple spots that looked like they could be yeast, but inoculating two starters with them yielded very little if any growth and they smelled bad, so I knew they weren't yeast.  Or if they were yeast, they weren't any yeast I'd want to put in my beer.  I'm going to try this again some day, except next time I will take the suggestion of a friend and use some locally grown fruit as my source rather than try to collect the yeast from the air.  It won't be back yard local, but it will be local enough for me.


This was one I thought might be yeast.  Note to self: that's not what yeast looks like on an agar plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment